Welcome to the 10th installment of 99 Bottles of Oils on the Wall. Instead of the usual take five oils down, pass them around as the featured oils of the week, as we go through my oil cabinet and the various other places I stash my oils, I wanted to devote an entire post to the oil that’s commonly referred to as the Swiss Army knife of essential oils – Lavender.
I’ve shared this before, and I’ll share this time and again. If Lavender were available in a vat or drum, and I could afford it, that’s the way I would purchase it. I. Love. Lavender. It’s my favorite essential oil. I use Lavender every day in various ways. You think I’d learn, but I’ve run out of Lavender multiple times. And then I have to be creative until I receive my order. Like diffusing Stress Away, because it has Lavender in it.
If you’ve been so kind as to tune into the 99 Bottles of Oils on the Wall series, then you know by now that from those who follow Oils & Spoils via email or on wordpress, I draw one name each week, and that person is the lucky winner of the week’s essential oil giveaway. I’ve given 9 of my 99 Bottles of Oils on the Wall new homes as my thank you and will continue with one essential oil or blend each week throughout this series. So, if you haven’t already, follow Oils & Spoils!
This Week’s Featured Essential Oil
Lavender: Lavender is available as a Young Living Essential Oils single and as part of their Vitality new dietary essential oil line, which means you can take it as a dietary supplement and use in recipes. Adding a drop of lavender to 2 quarts lemonade makes the lemonade super refreshing and yummy. Lavender is a popular essential oil that is known for its calming and soothing properties and can be used in many recipes to add a light floral accent. When diffused, Lavender adds a clean and fresh scent to any room and is a relaxing addition to body care products and baths. Lavender can be diffused, directly inhaled or applied topically neat (without a carrier oil (CO)). Lavender has many uses beyond being calming and soothing; it can also help with skin conditions, hair growth and breathing. Lavender is found in at least 53 Young Living Essential Oils blends and other products. My favorites are: A.R.T. skin care line, AromaGuard Meadow Mist Deodorant, Brain Power, Dragon Time, Envision, Lavender Bath & Shower Gel (a July promo!), Motivation, Orange Blossom Facial Wash and Stress Away.
How do I use/love Lavender? Let me count the ways:
- For seasonal support: My how I got started using essential oils and why I can’t help but share their goodness. I literally diffuse Lavender (5 drops), lemon (4) and peppermint (3) 24/7. Along with allergy drops under my tongue, this combination keeps me clear of the seasonal (year round) sniffles, coughing, sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, and scratchy throat. I use 10 drops each of this combo topped with CO in a 10 ml roller bottle and take it with me when I travel.
- To lengthen and strengthen hair and lashes and to help with wimpy brows
- For DIY eye makeup remover: Mix 8 drops of Lavender with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- To ease skin irritations for humans and dogs and to soothe dogs who are afraid of storms and firecrackers: 15 drops of Lavender topped with CO in a 15 ml glass roller bottle (re-used Young Living Essential Oils bottle). Roll on bug bites and hot spots. To help calm dogs, roll on hands, let Fido sniff and rub into Fido’s neck. Our dogs are small terriers (terrier-ists), so we make sure to heavily dilute any oils we use on them.
- For DIY bath salts
- For DIY Lavender soap and lotion bars
- To get some sleep: Sleepy Time roller bottle: 10 drops each Lavender and Cedarwood topped with CO. Apply to bottoms of feet before going to bed.
- For DIY facial products: Blemish facial wash, toner, gel and scarring cream; microdermabrasion scrub and moisturizing beauty serum
- For lazy people like me who like to spray their moisturizer on their body: Lavender Lemongrass Moisturizing Spray: Mix 1/4 cup distilled water, 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vegetable glycerin, 1 teaspoon grape seed oil, 4-5 drops Vitamin E and 8-10 drops essential oil (5 drops each of Lavender and Lemongrass). I usually make a double batch which fills a small spray bottle.
- On wool dryer balls: Use 4 drops on each and put in dryer with clothes, in place of dryer sheets.
Seriously, I could go on and on, but these are a “few” of my favorite uses of Lavender. For these and more recipes, check out my friend Brandy’s Essential Oil Recipes: One Drop at a Time and Essential Oil Premium Starter Kit Recipes: Love at First Drop.
Guess what this week’s giveaway oil is? If you haven’t done so already, remember to follow Oils & Spoils for a chance to win a 5 ml bottle of Lavender.
Until next time, La-La-Lavender!
Oils & Spoils Updates
OK, I admit I’m plagiarizing myself from last week, but Young Living Essential Oils awesome July promotions run through the end of the month, and I still have one $20 voucher up for grabs. Have to say, I’m loving the Lavender Bath & Shower gel that’s one of this month’s promos.
Young Living Essential Oils July Promotions (Freebies) Oh my goodness, I want all this month’s promos – twice! I love lavender. If I could afford it and it was available in vats or drums, that is how I would purchase it. And I’ve been wanting to try Progessence Plus. If you’re already a Young Living Essential Oils wholesale member, you can get up to 2 sets of promos by placing an eligible Quick Order and eligible Essential Rewards order. Add friends and family orders on to your orders this month to help you get these promos. If you aren’t a wholesale member, which involves purchasing a Premium Starter Kit and a $50 purchase within a year to keep your 24 percent off retail discount (trust me, this won’t be a problem), we need to talk. Did you know you can purchase the Premium Starter Kit and other items and qualify for this month’s promos (freebies)? Let me know how/for what reasons you’d like to use essential oils, and I can oil map a plan for you. And if you’ve read this week’s Oils & Spoils all the way to this point, you are privy to a special opportunity and another reason to become a wholesale member. I will have one $20 voucher next week to go toward the purchase of a Premium Starter Kit. First person to let me know s/he will purchase a Premium Starter Kit from me gets it! Click on any of the Young Living Essential Oils links in this blog to visit my site and view the starter kits. So, the $160 Premium Starter Kit with the Home or Dewdrop diffuser will be $140 for you. The kit’s retail value is over $320, so super great deal!