My favorite Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO) soap is Thieves Cleansing Soap. It smells divine and contains YLEO’s’ proprietary essential oils blend, Thieves, which purifies the skin. Thieves is a blend of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Rosemary, Lemon and Eucalyptus Radiata essential oils.
I use Thieves in so many ways on a daily basis: a drop on my toothpaste for better oral health, in my Immunity Booster roller and in my homemade version of Thieves foaming hand soap. I love YLEO’s Thieves Cleansing Soap bar and Thieves Foaming Hand Soap, but also love the ability to whip up a batch of either and save some money in the process.
For DIY Thieves foaming hand soap, I use the recipe in Essential Oil Recipes: One Drop at a Time. For DIY Thieves bar soap, I made my own recipe, which I will gladly share with you.
Falling for You Soap
1 lb olive oil melt-and-pour soap
1 tsp – 20+ drops each Thieves, Lemon and Orange essential oils
2 tsp dried citrus peels
- Cut soap into cubes for easier melting. My soap came from Michael’s. They have a nice selection of melt-and-pour soaps, and there’s always a 25 percent off coupon online and, sometimes, a 40 percent off coupon in the Sunday paper. You can use a butter knife or a soap cutter.
2. Melt in a double boiler on medium. While I have a double boiler, I thought I’d try the 4 lb pouring pot I used to make baby jar candles. It worked great and saved me the step of pouring the melted soap into a glass measuring cup to then pour into the soap mold. I was able to pour directly from the pot.
3. While the soap was melting, I measured the oils and citrus peels. I used a medicine measuring cup and added equal drops of Thieves, Lemon and Orange essential oils to equal 1 teaspoon. I used another medicine measuring cup for 2 teaspoons of dried citrus peels. I got the idea for the Thieves, Lemon and Orange essential oils combination from the Thieves foaming hand soap recipe and the amounts for the oils and peels from a lavender soap recipe.
4. Once the soap melted, I removed it from the heat and added the oils and citrus peels. Oils lose some of their properties when heated, but thankfully, not their aroma.
5. I then poured the combination into a soap mold that I had previously sprayed with rubbing alcohol. Once all the soap was poured and spatula-ed into the mold, I sprayed the tops of the soap with rubbing alcohol, to prevent bubbles from forming as the soap dried.
6. I let the soap dry for about 3 hours and pushed the 4 bars out of the mold.
A few tips:
I added another 2 teaspoons of citrus peels to this recipe. As with lavender that I’ve added to melted soap, the peels didn’t spread themselves out as much as I wanted. And while it takes the soap about 3 hours to fully try, the soap very quickly builds a filmy barrier on the top, as it is drying. So, exercise caution when and how you add items, such as peels and flower buds, to your soap. Next time I make this soap, I’m going to try it without the peels, which is more like YLEO’s Thieves Cleansing Soap bar.
I used the last of my bottles of Orange and Thieves, but got about 4 more drops out of each by turning them upside down in 2 cups of Epsom salts. I added 4 drops lemon and put my oil-infused Epsom salts in a 16-ounce mason jar for spa time in the shower.
It always helps to have a helper when creating a new recipe. Meet my shadow, Bess. I paid her in treats.
Love, love, love this soap! It smells like Thieves Cleansing Soap bar, is purifying and energizing. My husband asked me if I had noticed how the bar of soap in the shower was getting smaller. Turns out, he’s been using it, too! These easy-to-make Falling for You Soap bars make a great gift and/or treat for you.So, try the recipe and let me know. You can also purchase Falling for You Soap bars, with or without citrus peels, from me. I’ll post them on my etsy site in the near future. Feel free to comment or drop me a message, in the meantime.
Until next time, gListen like Thieves!
Oils & Spoils Updates
November YLEO Promos (Freebies)
Want all or some of the promos? Not a YLEO member? No worries, I can help tailor your oily order to your needs and wants. Drop a comment or message me.
Free with 300 PV ($233.16 retail value): • 5-ml Sacred Frankincense: Regarded the world over as one of the rarest, most sought-after aromatics available, Sacred Frankincense is grown and distilled in Oman and has a rich, earthy aroma that helps deepen spiritual connections. • 5-ml Myrrh: Beloved in biblical times for its rarity, complex aroma, and use in religious ceremonies, Myrrh is frequently added to skin care products for its ability to moisturize and cleanse dry skin. • 15-ml Frankincense: Frankincense is known for its woodsy, balsamic aroma. Diffusing Frankincense during meditation supports grounding and purpose, while applying it topically can help skin look healthy and smooth. • 5-ml Christmas Spirit™: Christmas Spirit is a sweet, spicy blend of Orange, Cinnamon, and Spruce essential oils that recalls the happiness, joy, and security of the holiday season. • Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 20 Essential Rewards points: Earn 20 additional Essential Rewards points with your qualifying order. Your Essential Rewards points can be used like cash toward many of your favorite products! • NEW Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 5-ml Peppermint Vitality™: Peppermint Vitality has an intensely minty flavor and can provide gastrointestinal comfort and normal digestion support, in addition to its bright, cool taste.*
Free with 250 PV ($143.36 retail value): • 15-ml Frankincense • 5-ml Christmas Spirit • Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 20 Essential Rewards points • NEW Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 5-ml Peppermint Vitality
Free with 190 PV ($46.65 retail value): • 5-ml Christmas Spirit • Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 20 Essential Rewards points • NEW Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 5-ml Peppermint Vitality
Free with 100 PV ($13.16 retail value): • NEW Bonus Essential Rewards exclusive: 5-ml Peppermint Vitality
November 8, 2016 at 9:32 am
November 8, 2016 at 8:25 pm
So glad! Let me know how it goes. Thanks so much for tuning into Oils & Spoils!
LikeLiked by 1 person
January 10, 2017 at 8:17 pm
I’ve been thinking about making homemade soap. This looks like a good recipe. Thanks!
January 10, 2017 at 8:22 pm
This soap has become a staple in our house. As an added bonus, a friend said it makes her skin soft. Must be the olive oil. Let me know how it turns out, or if you have questions. Thanks for tuning in!
LikeLiked by 1 person